Friday, June 3, 2011

Philippine Architecture

At this term, for our fourth and last History class in Architecture we will focus on Philippine Architecture.

 At the very first meeting we were asked if Philippine Architecture exist. To be honest, ever since I was young I’ve known that the Philippines have different influences that affects our culture and our lifestyle. So when this question was asked, I have an answer that playing inside my mind. At first I think Philippine architecture has their own style but not in architectural way what I’m trying to say is that our lifestyle is the reflection of our culture. It reflects our food, cooperative endeavor or “bayanihan”, our hospitality and our colorful culture.

 Filipino FOOD


This is the jeepney it was originally from the US army’ jeep but it was transform. And it became a colorful decoration.



This is the vinta found in Zamboanga.



And this is the Pahiyas festival in Lucban Qeuzon. They decorated and covered their houses with colorful rice paper.

       This where I based my answer, that we have our own style.

       Know it was clear to me that Philippine Architecture was the evolution of different invasions of Spanish, American, Japanese and Chinese.  This invasion is the result of different influences that affect our lifestyle. This influence was supported by Filipino culture. And the even I learn the existence of Philippine architecture I still believed the bahay kubo is the best example of it.



As an architecture student, I truly appreciate the Philippine Architecture. Especially when we have educational trips, we went to Ilocos, Corregidor but unfortunately I didn’t join the trip and last Bicol this is the entire trip we went through during our 1st year. This trip helps us to open our mind the existence of Philippine Architecture at this time I have doubt of its existence. But when I become 2nd year this is the only time that I agree of its existence   
Our historical structures are the treasure of our country. It’s become the collection of the past. When we see something that becomes part of our history we picture our ancestors living at that era. It tells us the story of their daily life.

During my first two weeks in HSTARC4, we had a trivia quiz bee all about Filipino places and buildings. In this quiz bee it becomes a learning experience and also we become familiar to our important and historical places and buildings in the Philippines.

At our first quiz bee the topic is about the oldest in the Philippines. In here I realized that I have so many things to learn in my own country before I look in other country.

Most old places can be found in the region of Cebu. But the most that caught my attention is the Maharlika Highway, I’ve never thought there is an exciting highway that can across the whole Philippines, it start at Laoag City to Zamboanga City at south. This is the longest Highway in the Philippines. And also I also didn’t know that the Philippines have a title in the world, the Araneta Coliseum is the first largest indoor facility in Asia. When I hear about it, it feels great that we have something that only in the Philippines has.

But as we explore and learn so many things, I feel bad in our country because of our selfish desires and not knowing how much important this historical places and structure, we destroyed our national treasure that only here in the Philippines can be found. I hope the government while support to take care and preserve our own treasures.    









  

No comments:

Post a Comment